Tuesday, September 21, 2010

oktoberfest!

Ever since going to Munich last year, I've been wanting to do more German beer related stuff back here in Portland. I've thought about going to Mt. Angel a couple of times for their annual fest, but so far it hasn't worked out. This year, I decided last minute to have a little oktoberfest party of my own at the house instead for a couple of friends. Bad pictures courtesy of me leaving my camera at work, and having to turn to my cell-phone as a back-up.

Fresh hop wreath with picture of sign from munich's fest (welcome to oktoberfest)


Spruced up the mantle with a fresh hop bine from the yard, a stein lamp, and various bavarian glasswear.


Marinated these brats overnight in beer and spices. Simmered them in the mixture on the stove, and then finished them off on the grill.


The spread! Bavarian Obatzda w/ soft pretzels for dipping, German potato salad, Brats, and home made kraut!


I'd call this the prost before the mass race, but I was drinking w/ a bunch of sally's, and there wasn't any real competition.



For beer we had various German (Paulaner Oktoberfest, Franziskaner hefe, Franziskaner dunkel, Weinstaphaner Korbinian), German styled (Bayern Oktoberfest, new belgium imperial berliner style weiss), and other somehow "german" connected beer (old german tallboys!). After eating our fill and watching Michael Jackson's german Beer Hunter episode, Hitlers Oktoberfest Downfall, and Beerfest, we were off to Apex to close out the night with Hofbrau oktoberfest mugs. It was a good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment