Saturday, September 5, 2009

russian river publication


Today I swung by the horsebrass after lunch to try Russian River Publication. It's a special brew that was created collaboratively between russian river and 1) Chris Black of Denver's Falling Rock; 2) Don Younger of Portland Oregon's Horse Brass Pub; 3) Matt Bonney & Vern of Seattle's Brouwer's Café; 4) David Keane (aka Big Daddy) of San Fran's Toronado; and 5) Tom Peters of Philly's Monk's Café. It's a strong, aggriesively hopped saison, finished with Brettanomyces.

The collaborating pubs are the only place this beer is available.

After hearing "russian river" and "brett", I was stoked to try this beer out. Russian River is among my favorite breweries for american wild ales right now, so I thought this would be right up my alley. Although not sour, and not what I was expecting, I thought this was a pretty enjoyable brew. Way too hoppy for a saison, way too strong for a saison, and not nearly as funky as I would have thought however, so I was certainly surprised by the taste. I many ways, this beer was quite similar to Victory's Wild Devil; fittingly, a brett version of their Imperial IPA.

No comments:

Post a Comment