Thursday, July 29, 2010

lots of new signs!

Over the past couple of days, I picked up a lot of great new signs for the beer cave - sixteen total. Yesterday, I thought I hit the jackpot in the thrift stores around town, rescuing ten nice signs and mirrors out of piles of junk for cheap, but I think this morning's haul ended up being the highlight. I found an old timer through craigslist who built his own home bar about 30 years ago, and was finally ready to let his collection go. The best part was that he was letting everything go from $5 - $8 per item. $5 for regular signs, and $8 for the light-up ones. The big score was the long rainier sign on the right. I was in a big hurry to get to work on time, so I didn't get to look it over for a manufacturing date, but it's really heavy steel, with painted glass front and wood trim; like they haven't made beer signs in a long time. I can't wait to date it. The newest sign must have been a late addition to his bar - a 1980's spuds mckenie back-lit sign. I'm a sucker for brewery mascots. I also got a 1960's coors light-up sign, and three probably late 1970's signs: two rainier's from the same series, one with a sheep and one with a skier, and a neat schlitz sign that says "gusto hour" and has a spinning hour glass timer mounted on the front. Pretty cool!

*EDIT: It's a shaggy looking cow, not a sheep. The bottom says "CATTLE ...A LEADING NORTHWEST INDUSTRY." The Skier one is another from the "leading northwest industry" series, but it represents recreation. I'm not sure how many others there are, but with a little googling, I found that at the very least, there is a forestry one out there to collect.

No comments:

Post a Comment