Sunday, September 6, 2009

oud beersel kriek


Today after work, I headed down to Clackamas to attend a wedding of some friends of ours. It was a really neat spot on the river. With dinner, I had a couple Bridgeport IPA's on tap. Oregon is probably the only place I've been to weddings where craft beer is the only option on tap. It's a good place to be.

After we came home, I decided to pop open my Oud Beersel Kriek, which I'm enjoying now.

The appearance is great in the glass. Viewed through it's thickest part, the beer is almost brown, but where the light shines through the brown yields to burgundy reds. After the initial pour, this beer had a thick velvety white head with luxuriously fine carbonation. After the head subsided, there was minimal lacing on the glass.

The nose is sweet, with a side of funk. Cherry pie left to spoil. Fruity up front, but the malts are detectable behind the fruit like a sweet glazed pastry.

The taste is tart. Dryer than the nose. Maraschino cherries. Red vines.

The mouth feel of this beer is unique. Dry and tart as stated, but there's something about it that numbs the tongue. Reminds me of cherry chlorosepetic throat spray. Makes the back of my mouth pucker.

Drinkability is good. Light enough to finish easily, although I couldn't imagine wanting more than a couple of these in a sitting. Flavors are a bit bold for sessioning.

Overall, this is an enjoyable Kriek, and I'd consider buying it again, but it's certainly not my favorite. Something about the mouthfeel and the taste seems synthetic. Can't shake the cherry throat spray comparison. I prefer both of Double Mountain's Krieks, as well as the cantillon krieks to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment